Tuesday, October 26, 2010

a tea party to remember

Last week Peter's Aunt Claudette invited his mom and I over for a tea party! I LOVE tea parties and this one will be such a fun memory for me of time in Southern California. Let me help you picture it all.

Aunt Claudette is a lovely and enthusiastic woman in her 70s with beautiful white hair. She has an ever-present smile on her face and is always laughing and loving the people around her. Every family needs an Aunt Claudette (and Uncle Billy too - but that's another story).
When we got to her home the table was set with flowers, lace and fine china. Orchestral music was playing in the background and we were dressed to fit the part. Perhaps something so fancy would make one feel nervous to have proper etiquette or be very graceful and charming. I did notice that I slowly ate my soup the proper way, dipping the spoon and scooping away from me. Even with all the formality, there was never a stiff nor uncomfortable moment; rather an ease permeated the air. We were having fun with playing tea party. We laughed and talked and told stories. Over the next three hours we lingered over a delicate pear tea, sweet scones, pumpkin soup, heart-shaped cucumber and chicken crescent sandwiches, and little petit fours.

No comments:

Post a Comment